PE at Leigh Beck
At Leigh Beck, we aim to give every pupil a fair opportunity to access the components of our PE curriculum in order to reach the following objectives:
- Children to leave with a positive relationship with physical health, activity and personal wellbeing that will positively impact on their future.
- Children to use physical education to develop their understanding of competition, including: fair play, sportsmanship, team work, passion and playing within the rules to embed life-long values.
- Children to have thorough knowledge of the basic skills needed to access specific sports.
- Children to use physical education to develop themselves as a whole person - mentally, personally, physically and socially.
PE provides pupils with the opportunity to learn how to be successful participants in physical activity. It allows pupils to understand what physical activity looks and feels like and how with practice they can improve their skills sets to reach high quality outcomes.
We offer a wide range of sports and physical activities out of school hours so that all children can discover something physically active that they will enjoy and we will work with local clubs to provide opportunities to continue developing in a local club setting.
We aim to challenge and support each child to reach their full potential and to develop a desire for lifelong participation in physical activity or competitive sport.
What PE looks like at Leigh Beck
- Teachers use the GetSet4PE scheme for planning.
- All children in year 1 and 2 have two PE lessons a week, one indoor and one outdoor session each week.
- Reception children only have one formal indoor PE lesson a week but they have scheduled time outside to play every day.
- Our scheme covers all areas of PE - dance, gymnastics, yoga, swimming, orienteering, net and wall games, striking and fielding games, invasion games, athletics and health and fitness.
- We are an active member of The Deanes School Sport Partnership. Through this we are able to send our children to numerous sporting events:
- Festivals – dance, skipping, multiskills
- We aim to be fully inclusive and when choosing children for events at Deanes we try to ensure that every child has an opportunity to attend, not just our most sporty children
- Relaxation and yoga sessions are carried out regularly to aid mental health and wellbeing